Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Gabo the Cat


So one day I was walking down the street to my host family’s house and there were a bunch of annoying children following me as usual. They asked me if I wanted a cat, not thinking they were being serious I said yes, bring it to my family’s home. About 20 minutes later, ten kids’ show up together one of them holding the cat by its neck out as far away from him as possible as if the cat were the plague or something, I instantly take the cat and give him some chai (the only thing I had at the time) as my family is outside arguing with the kids about the price of the cat. Cat’s are suppose to be free by the way, a Rwandan would never pay for a cat. But since they knew I am not Rwandan, the kids were being difficult. So eventually we gave up, my host sister throws the cat back at the kids (which makes them all scream and run because for some reason Rwandan’s are extremely scared of cats.) Anyway the kid’s didn’t want him so I got to keep him for free. He is a really, really cute kitten about 10 weeks old I think. I feed him eggs, avocado and bread. He goes crazy for eggs! I named him gabo from the Kinyarwanda word imigabo which means refuge.

No comments:

Post a Comment