Monday, January 11, 2010

Invitataion Feb 22nd for AFRICA

Today I got a phone call and have an invitation. I will be going to Sub-Saharan Africa on February 22, 2009. My Invitation packet will be here on Friday to let me know the exact country but I was told I will be doing AIDS awareness in a newly reopened country which i have narrowed down to 4 possible choices. Sierra Leone reopening in 2010,Liberia reopened in 2008, Rwanda reopened in 2008, and Ethiopia reopened in 2007. I'm thinking Rwanda!! After reading through the peace corps facebook group it seems people on Feb. 22nd are all going to Rwanda so now I think thats the place I'm headed!! French and English are the official languages making it that much more likely!! The land of a thousand hills they call it and from the research and pictures I see online it looks beautiful. The first volunteers since 1994 were sworn in on April 15, 2009. They are still there now and the next batch of volunteers will be my group on February 22nd. There are currently 29 volunteers and that amount will likely double in Feb. That is if I am correct about my speculations in my invitation being to Rwanda. only time (and the mail) will tell!!
Nick was happier than I expected about all this. We are still doing our road trip just leaving earlier and cutting it a bit short so I can get home just in time to pack say goodbye to friends and family and head off to wherever it is they are taking me! Ironic how nick reports to duty on Feb 22. the exact date I'm leaving for PC. Crazy how the world can work out in you favor!!

Congratulations! You have been invited to become a Peace Corps Volunteer.

No comments:

Post a Comment