Thursday, February 23, 2012

Market Day and Cooking!

Our Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Where I live we sadly have no market.  There are a couple of places to buy some basic things like onions, and sometimes pineapple, carrots and tomatoes and such.  For the most part to buy vegetables that must happen at the weekly market in the next town over (about a 10 minute, 40 cent bus ride)  That being said I love market days.  I go and look through the 20 cent-$1 clothing piles.  The prices vary based on what Rwandans think are better valued clothes.  Luckily this opinion is different for Americans and the "better" clothes in my opinion are in the cheaper piles.  Anyway, after the clothes is food time.  Here I can buy mango's, white onions and the sweet little bananas, all the things I cannot but at my village.  Anyway this week my new site mate (who moved in December)  and I decided to make mashed potatoes and onion rings.  We bought garlic, white onions, and potatoes, costing a total of 900 francs or about $1.60.  We did not even need to peel the potatoes as it was the light skinned potatoes.  We just washed them and cut them and then boiled them.  Once they boiled for about a half and hour we stopped and let them sit in the boiling water for a bit.  Then we cut the onions into rings made a beer batter using beer, flour and salt.  We heated the oil to boiling the dunked the onions into the batter and then into the oil.  Let the onions sit until they browned which took way longer than expected.  We then, sauted the left over onions and the minced garlic and added to the potatoes with milk and butter and extra garlic salt.  The final result was amazing and we took the onion rings and dipped them into the mashed potatoes not to dirty anymore dished.  It was a great, unhealthy day.  I am aware if i eat like that more than once I may die an early death or have a heart attack but today it was a much needed luxury!    
                                                                                
Onion rings on a paper bag to soak up some of the oil.
Frying up the onion rings

No comments:

Post a Comment