Thursday, February 23, 2012

Close of Service

Here I am with the program and training manager who is giving me my Peace Corps certificate!
I just got back from a 2 day Peace Corps conference.  It was the last of three conferences we have during our service.  The first was called IST- in-service training which happens in the first 3-6 months at site.  Then is MSC- mis-service conference which happens after 1 year at site.  Lastly is the Close of Service conference which happens after 90 days before leaving.  I have almost been in Rwanda for 2 years, I arrived February 25,2010.  The time went by quickly and slowly and its really hard to explain.  mostly the days and weeks go by very slowly but months and years fly by.  I can't believe I am almost done with my service.  I have had a lot of really really rough days and months and maybe hated being here more than I liked it.  But in saying that I do think it was a completely worthwhile experience, one that I would not trade for anything.  I met the greatest friends while here, did things I had never done before, and survived.  That is saying a lot considering only 60% of the people I arrived with made it this far in Peace Corps.  Though I may not do much on a day to day basis over 2 years I have had some accomplishments even if the biggest was site development as I am the very first volunteer ever to have been placed at this location.  There are a lot of differences between Peace Corps and other organizations.  Rwandans are very used to having people come in the village spend a few weeks, give money or build something and then leave.  With Peace Corps we are not here to give money or build things but to build relationships and learn about the culture and teach about our culture.  Though I get very frustrated with Rwandans a lot of the time I have built some relationships and taught the people that I was here to stay.  Living in a foreign country for 2 years is no easy feet and I am very proud to say I was able to do it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment