Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Hardest Job You'll Ever Have

As most of you already know, doing the Peace Corps has been a dream of mine for a long time. I don’t remember the exact moment I found out about its existence but I know as soon as I heard about it I wanted to do it. It seemed perfect for me since I not only love traveling but I love actually living and getting involved in other countries. Meeting and befriending the nationals. Traveling is one thing but living there is a whole new challenge. Exchanging culture with neighbors and attempting to help even if by help all you’re really doing is teaching a child to stop saying “good morning” at night time or trying to teach children that not all white people have a lot of money. Also in America there are poor people and dirt roads … who knew??
So now that I am about 4 months into my 27 months of service what have I done? Well nothing, yet. That said I’m not giving up hope, it’s just much harder than I imagined figuring out what I am suppose and how to help. I am assigned to work with a Rwandan NGO which is partnered with an American government organization, you would think I should know exactly what to do, but that is not really true at all.
I work with two Rwandans, one is an education advisor the other is an economic strengthening advisor. I have been out in the field visiting sites everyday for the past 2 weeks now. And I am so grateful that I’m not stuck in some office job. But at the same time I am not much help in the field because I do not speak the language. And I can try and practice all day long but even if I get good at this language I’ll never be able to run field visits alone. So what is the point? Riding around all day with my co-workers, tagging along when all along I know if I was not there, this would all still be happening just the same without me.
Don’t get me wrong I know this isn’t suppose to be easy, they don’t say it’s the hardest job your ever love for nothing. And I do really enjoy living in this country. I know I can and will make a difference. I mean today I told a school the point of composting was for it to go in the garden not in the woods 100 feet away from the garden. Slowly by slowly I guess…buhoro buhoro.
Well luckily for me this country is the size of Maryland so it is very easy to visit friends. 3 weeks ago I traveled to Rwamagana to visit a friend. Then 2 weeks ago traveled to Musanze. Last week I went to Gatsibo. Weekends away are amazing and it’s great that it is so easy to get together with friends here. I really think I might love that most of all about this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment