Saturday, May 15, 2010

Meetings,meetings, meetings and the view from the window of my house




Written May 14th
Well it looks like my first two weeks are going to consist of many meetings. Day 1 I helped interview and hire 6 new people for Duhemic Adri. Therefore there are many new people here with me so we are all getting to be trained and learn together. It’s good but boring considering the meetings are in French or Kinyarwanda. The funny thing is that the meetings start 2-3 hours after they are suppose to so I end up sitting and literally twiddling my thumbs for hours, then after they are over I do some more sitting until its time for my supervisor to leave. I forgot to mention I have to go the Kigali for these meetings, that’s where headquarters are, so I stay at my supervisor’s house. I think in a few weeks things will calm down a bit and I’ll get to stay in muhanga with the cooperatives. But I thought my first few weeks would be slow and they have been nothing but go go go for me. Next week I am going to Butare for a 3 day training by CHF (American organization funded by PEPFAR- the presidents emergency action plan for AIDS relief) on how to train trainers.

And things just keep getting better
Written May 10th at night

So after a nice relaxing day of unpacking and getting an idea of the area I hear a knock at the door. It’s my co-worker coming to say hello. Or so I thought, apparently he was actually coming to pick me up and take me to Kigali for a workshop. It was so unexpected but I just go with the flow, quickly pack up some clothes and my computer and I’m off and ready to go. We tell the neighbor I’m leaving so they know to watch the house. As I get into the car I realize I must tell Peace Corps whenever I leave sight. So I get out my phone and call to let them know I have to go to Kigali for work. I am then told this will not be possible, I cannot drive at night, Peace Corps prohibits it, this is being told to me as I’m driving down the road. Luckily we had only left minutes ago but I don’t know what to do. The co-worker talks to the Peace Corps. He then calls my supervisor. Then the safety and security officer is on the phone wanting to speak with him also. By this point he already understands the situation and takes me back to my house. He has a conversation with the safety and security officer. I am told everything’s ok and they understand these things happen but I feel so stupid for not saying anything sooner. Peace corps did tell us 300 times not to drive at night but things were happening so fast that was the last thing on my mind. Long story short it only takes me 1 day to get myself into trouble but all is well and I suppose I will go to Kigali tomorrow. They so were not kidding when they say be flexible you never know what’s going to happen next.

No comments:

Post a Comment